January 5, 2011

Pascal in Progress (PIP?)

I do a lot of drawing that then gets scanned, and I usually finish it, color it, and polish it off in Photoshop.  But every now and then I like to color things by hand.  While you can mimic and do many things in the computer there's something aesthetically pleasing about crafting by hand.  That's why I enjoy to paint (hopefully I'll post some this year), you can't truly paint digitally in my opinion.  You can do things that look LIKE painting.  But a painting is a painting and digital art is digital art.  Call me old, but that's my belief.  They're different media with different tools.

Anyway, I had the itch to bust out some colored pencils (Crayola, specifically), and do some layering with them and developing up the form.  So I picked the ever lovable Pascal from Disney's Tangled.  If you have not yet seen this flick, go out to a theater and see it.  And if you can find a theater still showing it in 3D (though many have moved on to Tron and other 3D fare), go see it in 3D!  The scene in the boat, is stunning in 3D, and the story as a whole is handled very much in the classic Disney model, while still being very fresh and modern!  Go!.  Movie critique aside, I figured all the different greens (with some accents of yellow and blue) would be the perfect creature to build up in colored pencils. So far it's working, but it's time consuming (that's an advantage to computer coloring, time!)  Hopefully I'll finish it up later today or tomorrow, and post the finished thing soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment