April 2, 2011

Abu and "Ape" Welcome you to APE-ril

My buddy and art-peer, Stephen Wittmaak (whose work can be found at PORTCITY UNDERGROUND) is doing an "Ape a day" drawing challenge for the month of April, thus making it "APE-ril" (get it?).  Anywho, I was thinking about it and thought, that's not a bad idea... so... in the words of Barney Stinson, "Challenge Accepted!"  I sat down for about 2 hours and made a list of apes (and monkeys, PLEASE don't debate me on the difference of monkeys and Apes, let's just let bygones be bygones) that I wanted to draw.  That list goes to 30 (one for each day).  As I was at Disneyland all day yesterday, I did not have time to doodle an ape yesterday, so today is TWO apes.  I really want to do all 30 in the month of APE-ril.

First up is Abu, everybody's favorite little rascal monkey from Disney's Aladdin.  See the connection to yesterday's Disneyland trip?  Or is it just cuz his name comes first on the list of monkeys?  It's technically, both!  Ha-HA!

Second up is, "Ape Named Ape" from the ORIGINAL (not the lame animated remake or the gawd-awful Brendan Fraser film) George of the Jungle.  My mental image of Ape differs a lot from what I found when I was looking up reference material for this drawing.  I really don't remember him looking anything like this at all.  But apparently he did.  Kinda weird how my mind remembers something else.  But I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment