April 18, 2011

APE-ril: Flying Monkey

I've always had a certain, unexplainable, affinity for the Wizard of Oz.  I don't know why, just have.  I love it... Everything about it.  The books, the movie, the mythos, the legend.  Possibly like it even more so than Batman...  Maybe.

So I was excited to draw the Flying Monkey from it... It was kinda nice because there have been MANY interpretations of the Oz characters and world, so I wasn't stuck to a particular look or style like some of the other Apes this month, I was allowed some breathing room.  I stuck kinda close to the 1930's film version of the flying monkeys, but I think I gave it a bit of my own spin....  So I like that.  I think I might revisit the flying monkey (or other Oz characters) in the future... because it'd be nice to give it my own spin entirely, drawing very little from other adaptations and sticking to my own perception of the original work of L. Frank Baum.

No comments:

Post a Comment