April 16, 2011

APE-ril: Dr. Zais

Dr. Zaius made the list of apes for APE-ril, because I decided to pick 2 from each era of Apes... the classic Apes, and the Tim Burton apes.  I did Cornelius earlier this month, so my other "classic" PotA character had to be Dr. Zaius.  This was easy to pick because... he's different.

Seriously, go watch the original Planet of the Apes.  Almost every other ape in that film looks a like, like they were made from a cookie cutter.  Dr. Zaius... different.  More of an orangutan, when the rest were... gorilla?   They're all black, he's orange.  He stands out.  So since he stood out, he made for a more eclectic choice in drawing.  So I drew him.  True story.

On a side note, my art buddy and friend, Stephen Wittmaak also drew up a Dr. Zaius yesterday, so for the sake of comparison, you can check his out right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment