April 30, 2011

APE-ril: Optimus Primal

This is hands-down probably going to be the worst drawing in all of APE-ril.  But at the same time it was important lesson in doing a bit more diligence in one's research before committing to a project/challenge.  While compiling my list of apes/monkeys at the end of March, early April for the APE-ril challenge, I thought doing Optimus Primal from Transformers: Beast Wars would be win on many levels.  One, it'd be an ape.  Two, it'd be a robot (cuz I'd prolly get sick of drawing monkeys).  Three, there's a new Transformers movie coming out, so you might get some visitors due to random Google searches.  And Four, who doesn't want to draw a bad-ass robot?

Well, I was wrong on almost all of those.  I didn't really get into Transformers as a kid, and especially didn't even watch Beast Wars, so fairly unfamiliar with the show/character.  I also had a horrible time finding suitable reference material on the net (which surprised me a little), and then of course... Deadline crunch.  I had/have fallen behind in the APE-ril challenge, so now at the zero hour, I'm busting out the last few quickly, and this one should of had a whole day (at least) to itself to truly make it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment