May 3, 2011

Comic-Con 2011 Souvenir Book Submission

So those of you not familiar with the incredible awesomeness that is the San Diego Comic-Con International, let me give a brief summary....

IT'S AMAZING! YOU SHOULD GO!

But seriously... it's pretty sweet, 4 days of just geek culture and win.  Sure, it's become a bit too commercialized lately, but it's still an awesome place to be.  LOVE IT.  Anywho, if you're fortunate to attend you get a bag of free crap right when you get your pass.  Inside the bag is.. well mostly crap.  But there are usually to books.  One is the schedule of events, which I affectionately refer to as "The Con Bible".  But the other book, is the souvenir book.

In this souvenir book is a bunch of articles and art, relating to themes going on in the comic book industry for that year.  And these articles and art come from people, fans and pros alike.  Well...  one of this years themes was the 50th Anniversary of the Fantastic Four.  And they were taking submissions, and I'm artistically inclined so I entered this one in (minus my blog's watermark, of course!).  Click here to see the other choices.

Kinda dangerous choice, as I'm sure it'll be the bulk of their submissions, but I started working on it before they added more topics... I might of done a piece for Jeff Smith's iconic character, Bone, had it been available when I started.  Spy VS. Spy, also could have been fun.  I stuck with the Fantastic Four however.  I decided to be clever about it... the easiest way to not make into the book would have been to do a splashy pin-up (like everybody else).  Also, since they just killed the Human Torch in the comics, there likely would have been many "Rest in Peace" art for Johnny Storm, so i didn't want to go that road.  So I was like... I need to show the strength of the family bond, and still be bold and simple.  So, I decided to go for each of them grabbing each others arms, and formed the above art.  On a side note, this why I did the hand study back in January.  Then it was just simple Photoshop'ing of color, as per usual, and BAM!  My submission was ready.

Now I just have to wait and see if I'm fortunate enough to get published in the 2011 Comic-Con International Souvenir Book!

No comments:

Post a Comment