February 1, 2011

You've got red on you...

A quick little sketch today of one of my favorite films of all time... Shaun of the Dead.

I had this itch to take a stab at drawing Shaun for the past couple weeks, so today I fed that itch.  Portraiture is one of my weaker points as an artist, I can do it, but it's difficult, and usually time consuming.  While not a perfect match to Mr. Pegg, I think the above drawing came across well, you know it's Shaun, you know he's about to bash some zombie skull in.  To capture Shaun, you really just have to get that slightly balding hair right, and you have it.  One thing my college art teachers always tried to get across is you're not trying to draw (or paint) that person, just enough that you know who it is without having to be told.  There are small visual things about a person that make it that person (i.e., Leno and has monstrous chin, etc.), and those are things you most want to capture.

And if you haven't seen the masterpiece, "Shaun of the Dead".  Then stop reading my blog and go watch it.  NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment