January 1, 2013

Happy NEW Post / Commission / Year

Hello... anybody who still reads this.

Sorry for the absence...  Actually no, I'm not.  It's my blog, I do what I want!  HOWEVER, I don't like that I haven't really been as post-y on here as much as I should be.  So with a new year, comes new determination.  This blog was always intended to be a place of quantity over quality.  So I'm determined to post on here as close to daily as is possible for me.  So unless I'm out of town or unable to post, I'd like to post at least once a day on here.  *fingers crossed*

As I'm slightly hung-over from last nights festivities, and I have a long day of work at my day job ahead of me, today's post is a bit of a cop-out as I drew it in the middle of last year.  But, it's new to the blog so it's new!  Above is a commission I was asked to do.  What excited me the MOST about this commission was... I DID NOT KNOW THE CLIENT!!!

Most of the work I've done is for friends.  Which is fun and all, but I'd like to branch out.  So this particular commission is for a friend of a friend.  Who I did not know.  This was great, mainly cuz I could pretty much drop the "friends and family" discount.  I gots to get paid!  Anyway, the client saw the commission I had done for my friend, and she thought it'd be neato to get something similar of her and her man.  So she got my contact info from my friend and contacted me out of the blue and we got the ball rolling on what she wanted and how much.

One challenge was she wanted a print of this, and she wanted it LARGE.  24"x36" large!  That's huge.  I usually draw in pencil, and ink/color on the computer.  And most of the time I draw slightly smaller than whatever I want to print at (cuz my scanner is small).  But this was intended to be printed at 24"x36"!  I couldn't draw 11x14'ish and blow it up.  It'd look bad!   So what I did instead was....   DREW IT AT 24"x36".  I drew it on 8.5"x11" sheets of printer paper, taped them all together.  Drew the thing.  Un-taped all the paper.  Scanned each individual 8.5"x11" sheet into the computer.  Re-assembled them all in Photoshop... touched up lines here and there where stuff didn't quite line up, then went about my normal inking/coloring process.   A LOT of work.  If I had foreseen how complex that was gonna be, I might of charged more.  But live and learn, I suppose.

Anywho, the end result was quite impressive.  She got it just before Thanksgiving and was intended for a Christmas present for her man, but she liked it so much, he got it early for Thanksgiving.  And now I'm sharing it here.

Cool story, eh?

See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment